Why Regent University?

Simply put – God called me here. When my wife and I were still dating in 2005, I worked at a place I loved, lived near friends and family in Ohio, and I was all set to go to another university on a full-ride scholarship. Yet, there was a sense of unrest – God was whispering and I listened... In a matter of two months, we quit our jobs, got married and moved here to get a degree at Regent. There is no question that Regent was the right choice.

Why Online Learning?

As a direct result of earning a Christian education, I have a better grasp of my roles as a Christian, a husband, a lifelong learner, a friend, a follower, and a leader. Moreover, earning a degree is a very fulfilling yet difficult experience. I can’t imagine earning it without the support and encouragement of dedicated Christian faculty and the freedom (and expectation) to grapple with spiritual challenges in the context of the classroom.

Why A Business Degree?

Leadership is interesting, relevant and applicable. Leadership is everywhere but it is not understood by many people. Also, there is a critical need for good leadership everywhere. Last, leadership is essential influence, and without influence, one cannot change the world. The real question is, “Why not a leadership degree?”

Alumnus

Discussion posts

I was just thinking of those wonderful discussion board posts that we all do for our classes. In a few hundreds words... explain or articulate this or that. Honestly, it takes me at least a good hour or so to write a good post. I am not talking about the first bit of nonsense that comes to mind; I am talking about thoughtful prose that really answers the questions posed by the instructors.

There a few things about those posts I must dwell upon. First, I wonder how many of our classmates read them? If the responses received are any indication, not many. Second, am I the only one spending quality time with them? It seems that posts come easier to others. One classmate said they spend about 15 minutes on a post. Last, are these posts really a good substitution for classroom interaction? My guess is no. That post that took me an hour to write would have only taken me 3-4 minutes in class to articulate. Moreover, I would have seen the expressions on my classmates' faces instead of wondering if anyone even "heard" me.

Discussion board posts are great; however, I think it would be better if we moved toward "audio" posts--audio messages recorded and posted by students. This would take less time and do a better job recreating the characteristics of classroom interaction.

<>

1 comments:

Joy Manoleros said...

I'm so glad you brought this up! Right now, I'm finishing up what I can through Regent distance ed. I love the interaction with my classmates, especially out-of-area ones, but I really miss the face-to-face of a true classroom discussion. Like you, it takes me awhile to write a post that meets the writing criteria vs. articulating a point in person and getting instant feedback. I don't like the idea of doing it via voice - but if we could do classes with webcams... that might be fun. The problem is being online when others are online. I do my most productive work after my family is in bed.
So - Kyle! Be the first to invent an alternative!!!! :o)